Monday, February 11, 2008

The Preface

Early in 2001, I began to notice an increasing number of customers who were looking for particular items that they could not find anymore. Usually, our conversations began with "I'm not sure if you can help me, but..." or "I know I'm probably the only person left on the planet who uses these, but..." and after a little research, and some digging, they would leave my store satisfied with item in hand.

I began talking to friends, customers, and industry people about these experiences and they all spoke of similar occurrences. A customer, who brought in a Sears typewriter for supplies, told me:
I went to Sears to get a ribbon for my typewriter. I walked in, asked the salesman where typewriter ribbons were and he sent me to Electronics. Electronics sent me to Hardware, who sent me to Appliances, who sent me to the Information Desk. I then asked to speak to a manager. When the manager arrived, I told him that I was looking for a ribbon for my typewriter. He told me Sears does not sell ribbon and that I would be better off going to an arts & craft store. After explaining to him what a ribbon was, he told me that Sears did not sell typewriters, and to his knowledge, never did.
I knew that this man was not alone. He wasn't the only person who still used a typewriter, or Dome book, list finder, or #4 pencil for that matter. But why were these things so hard to get? I know that there are many folks who love office supplies or could tell 10 different reasons why they like pen x over pen y. I am one of those people. And, so are you.

So, welcome to the Office Graveyard... Where good supplies go when they die.

No comments: